Time: 30 minutes (5 minutes prep time, 15 minutes cook time, 10 minutes
Bolognese is traditionally a meaty tomato sauce, so for the vegan version,
you replace meat with black lentils. These add a hearty texture, as well as
tons of nutritional value. Ingredients like fire-roasted tomatoes, lots of garlic,
and a little balsamic vinegar at the very end make the sauce taste like it’s
been simmering for hours, when in reality, the whole process only takes
about a half hour.
4 cups water
1 cup washed black lentils
1, 28-ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes
4 minced garlic cloves
3 diced carrots
1 diced yellow onion
1 can tomato paste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1. Add all your ingredients except the balsamic vinegar.
3. Close and seal the lid.
4. Hit “manual” and adjust time to 15 minutes on high pressure.
5. When the beeper goes off, hit “cancel” and wait 10 minutes.
6. Quick-release any leftover pressure.
7. Add the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and stir.
8. Serve or pour in a jar, that you let cool before storing in the fridge.
Nutritional Info (¼ recipe):
Total calories: 208