Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes (5 minutes prep time, 40 minutes cook time, 20
minutes natural release, 10 minutes simmer time)
Black rice, also known as “forbidden” rice, is a lot healthier than its paler
siblings. It’s packed with antioxidants and iron, which is especially important
for vegans. It also has more fiber and protein than white, brown, or red rice.
This pudding is a delicious way to consume this superfood as it’s steeped
with a cheesecloth of whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
6 ½ cups water
2 cups black rice
¾ cup sugar
½ cup dried flaked coconut
2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
5 crushed cardamom pods
½ teaspoon salt
1. Rinse the rice and pick out any stones.
2. Pour water into your cooker, and add rice and salt.
3. Turn on the pot to “sauté” to start heating it.
4. Add sugar and stir until it’s dissolved and the bottom isn’t gritty.
5. Wrap whole spices in a cheesecloth bag, tie it up, and put it in the
6. Close and seal lid.
7. Hit “manual,” and adjust time to 40 minutes on high pressure.
8. When time is up, let the pressure come down naturally after you hit
9. Open the cooker to stir the rice around.
10. Add coconut and turn your pot back to sauté until the rice liquid has
become thick and syrupy.
11. When the consistency is the way you want it, take out the spice bag.
12. Serve warm or chill before eating.
Nutritional Info (⅛ recipe):
Total calories: 135